Monday, April 19, 2010

RE: LCD Soundsystem's "Dance Yrself Clean"

I recently had the pleasure of hanging out in Corey’s living room with a couch-surfing Frenchman and a visitor from Boston. The Frenchman eventually wants to end up in CA, so if you’re driving west and know a little French, let us know! Real conversation:

Megan: I am provincial.

Corey: We global.

And what, oh what, served as our background music on this surreal yet gritty provincial-global night? Why, This is Happening, of course. And it served the occasion well. I felt cool and not so terribly embarrassed to be a provincial American. All this is to say that This is Happening does fit nicely into the post-grad scene of 25 year-olds hanging out on mismatched couches in yellowish overhead lighting. You know how you imagined your 20-something self when you were nine? I’m so cool and I can do whatever I want so I’m going to sit on this couch with my friends and laugh like in that beer commercial. Yes, This is Happening makes me feel like I’ve achieved that. And makes me not so terribly depressed about it.

The lyrics to Dance Yrself Clean riff on sound and pun in a really relaxed, fun, and sonically satisfying way. Think Haryette Mullen really stoned and silly, maybe. This is the kind of playful, sensual, yet sincere attitude I find in my favorite writers. Good night, good music. Thanks LCD Soundsystem!

--Megan

1 comment:

  1. "Dance Yrself Clean" is the kind of song I wish I could hear again for the first time.

    ReplyDelete